I understand that U.S. Citizens have a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
Those rights have to be weighed against the rights of citizens to safely go to concerts and churches and movies without being in constant fear that someone with an AR-15 will start shooting them. I would propose that gun laws be tightened in the following manner:
- Make it illegal to get a gun at a gun show from a private citizen. All transactions should go through a licensed dealer and include a background check. This is often referred to as closing the gun show loophole.
- Make bump stocks illegal and have a buyback program for existing units.
- Make 30 round magazines illegal and have a buyback program for existing 30 round magazines. Allow magazines up to 10 rounds.
- Make the background check and training much more comprehensive in order to obtain a weapon.
- Require that domestic violence arrests be included in the background check as a disqualifying event.
- Incorporate a psychological test in the background check, administered by a licensed mental health practitioner. This process should also have an appeal mechanism.
- Make it illegal for individuals on a terrorist watch list to obtain a fire arm.
- Make it illegal for individuals to obtain a gun who cannot manage their financial affairs, as evidenced by a court order, or recipients of disability insurance and supplemental security income who require a representative to manage their benefits because of a disabling mental disorder.
- Offer incentives for safe storage to reduce firearm casualties and injuries.
- Voting no on Concealed Carry Reciprocity laws.
- Renew the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.
- Allow funds for the Center for Disease Control to actually study the cause of gun violence and accidents and develop methods of prevention.